'Wake' Up. Or Not!!

I read Amanda Hocking's newest novel in the new series a few weeks ago. I am already a huge fan of Amanda's other novels. I have posted about her previously here. I have a short rev on goodreads if you want to read just that.


By looking at the cover, you can sort of predict it is about Mermaids- and you are right on- but these mermaids are the worst kind- they are Sirens. We have Gemma who is fond of swimming- she loves the water. To put it in the words from the blurb; she craves late night swims under the stars, where she can be alone yet belong to the sea. She lives with her father and older sister, Harper. Their mother lives in a supervised place as she is a little unwell. There is Harper's best friend and Gemma's love interest Alex- the boy-next-door, Daniel (Harper's maybe-love-interest), her friend and co-worker, Marcy and these mysterious girls, Penn, Lexi, and Thea.There have been mysterious disappearances in the island recently. One of them is Harper's and Alex's friend. Gemma discovers the girls are behind the disappearances as the girls succeed in making Gemma a part of their group. Gemma is given an ultimatum- choose to stay or leave with them. If she stays, she dies. If she leaves, she has to let go of her friends and family and live with this curse. When Alex's life is endangered, Gemma has no choice but to leave.

I have to say I had higher expectations for this book as I love Amanda's writing and am a fan of her other series. I will say that Amanda Hocking has successfully created another infectious world.Although I didn't fall in love with all the main characters, but her side charcters made me like the book just as much. I love the name of the series. The Mermaids/Sirens are really pretty sans the bird portion. I loved the whole story behind Thea, Penn and Lexie. The scenes between Harper and Daniel kept things interesting enough for me to finish the book. I liked the book enough to say I will read the sequel when it comes out.

Have any of you read this book? What did you think?

post signature

Popular Posts