The Walls Are Down in 'Requiem'

Requiem

(Delirium #3)

Lauren Oliver

March 5th 2013

They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.
Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.
I will be honest with you, although I didn't like the resistance and all that government scenario going around in the first two books but this book made me love all that. I loved the romantic dilemma that was there but over all the mission and whatever distraught Lena and the others faced was really enjoyed by me- not that I enjoyed their misery- it was just that Lauren had written all those scenes really nicely. Now I have seen the internet realm explode over the ending she wrote to this epic series. I also had turned my pages expecting more ti the story and then re-read the last passage and then the passage above that to make sense of it all. And I did. I get it. I think there was no other way to end it. She left the ending open to all of us. We can perceive it however we want. We can make whatever ending we want to as Lauren has given us the ingredients. This series was all about being who you are- being true to yourself  being a resistant force to tyranny. And that's what that ending accomplished. At least according to me. TAKE DOWN THE WALLS. This is a metaphor for all that.

I can make out the life ahead for all the characters. It is clear in my head. They will get a good ending. We can make them get a good ending. We must appreciate what the author has done and not be like why did she do that in the ending. Why must the author give us the ending or wrap up the story for us in a cute package? I know that is the authors job. But open endings with a finality are not bad. I agree with the authors decision to wrap the book like that. I respect that. I am not saying the other's don't. There was a video on her Tumblr. I can't find that video but she discussed why she went with that ending. I haven't seen it yet. There were some technical issues but you can see that if you haven't already like me. I will post it later in an update. Other than the ending some people didn't like that Hana got a POV. I especially liked those moments. She also took down the walls. I liked how Lauren handled the Julien, Alex and Lena moments. 

So, I freaking loved this installment. It made me apprecaite the first two novels more.  I am sad to see these characters go and am excited to see these characters come to life on the TV show. 

Teaser Quote:
"All of you, wherever you are: in your spiny cities or your one-bump towns. Find it, the hard stuff, the links of metal and chink, the fragments of stone filling your stomach. And pull, and pull, and pull."

Challenge: A - Z Challenge + Universal TBR

Rating:
post signature

Popular Posts