Review: Pierce Brown's RED RISING

Red Rising by Pierce BrownThe Earth is dying. Darrow is a Red, a miner in the interior of Mars. His mission is to extract enough precious elements to one day tame the surface of the planet and allow humans to live on it. The Reds are humanity's last hope.

Or so it appears, until the day Darrow discovers it's all a lie. That Mars has been habitable - and inhabited - for generations, by a class of people calling themselves the Golds. A class of people who look down on Darrow and his fellows as slave labour, to be exploited and worked to death without a second thought.

Until the day that Darrow, with the help of a mysterious group of rebels, disguises himself as a Gold and infiltrates their command school, intent on taking down his oppressors from the inside. But the command school is a battlefield - and Darrow isn't the only student with an agenda.
___________________

With all the hype surrounding Red Rising in the last few months of last year-- since its release tbh, I found myself reading it this January and having a mildly enjoyable journey with it.

This book was pegged as Hunger Games but it was more gritty and gorier and just intense. I started getting into the book after Darrow was recruited by the rebels and he began his transformation-- it was pretty gruesome. Then I got excited when he had to go to school but I was surprised to find out it was a quite a different school with a different Divergent kind of selection process after the Dauntless initiation. You will understand once you read the book. :p Then the students got into the real (school) world and that was when I started taking breaks from the book and also getting entertained by one or two of the scenes. I was definitely curious to read more and I will be reading the sequel further along the year as I am definitely interested how the story will continue for everyone in this really different dystopian world.

I really liked Pax and was sad when that happened. Argh. Another character that made his mark on me Sevro- he was weird and straightforward and stealthy.

Intense, gritty, raw and entertaining at times Red Rising touched some real moments involving betrayal and loyalty and fierce leadership  along with the typical agenda behind every dystopian society---!!


My Goodreads thoughts:

"Had to take breaks cos it would get too much for me. As it was 2times everything a bloody book can be. If you know what I mean. Also, Pax and Sevro. But Pax. BUT had a hard time connecting with this book but at the end, made it and did sort of like it. Not a big fan still but whatever. Cause if somebody asks me, my hesitant answer would be it takes time to get into. Your choice if you want to deal with it. I think I mostly tried to find something to make me like this book--or to make it through this. Pax and Sevro were it for me."

Teaser:
(You will get this scene when you read the book, it was hilarious. LOL.)

Rating:

Toodles.
Happy Reading.
post signature

Popular Posts